Old 10-14-2010, 06:41 AM
weezie

Originally Posted by janRN
Just looked at the photos. It seems a few of us chose the same colors for #22. I think that's the first time this has happened. I know you're all tired of me whining about doing scrappy but what I do is look at the title of the block for color suggestions. Corn & Beans (#22) said yellow and green to me. Is this how you choose colors when you do scrappy?
I'm trying to avoid making hideous looking blocks, but at the same time, use some of the hideous fabric I've somehow acquired over the years. I often try to mimic Laurie's blocks because I'm pretty bad about getting color values/contrast right. When we first started FWS, I divided a lot of fabrics into sets of colors that I thought would go well together. If a block requires 5 colors, for example, I look through my sets of 5, hoping to find one that works well for that block.

I get a lot of surprises. Sometimes the "perfect" colors are definitely NOT and sometimes, the "iffey" ones end up making a stunning block. I am learning a lot, though, so I'm grateful for that.