View Single Post
Old 10-14-2010, 04:56 PM
Matilda

I use the wooden scewers as "helpers" to push fabric under the needle especially at inter-sections and also for poking out points when turning something like collars.

Originally Posted by mpeters1200
I am curious what type of household items you guys have turned into quilting notions.

I know there is some kind of paper....wax paper, parchment, freezer?? something to do with applique.

What else do you guys use? I can start off the list.

I have to sing the praises of liquid bandages. If you are actually cut, scraped, or otherwise injured, don't use it. It's burns like all get out and it doesn't really work as a bandage. What I love about it, is that I can put a layer on my fingertips and it protects them from the needle as I hand quilt. I've been trying to build up callouses for years and I can't get them to start. So, while I don't prick my finger when I quilt, I do feel for the needle to make sure it's gone through all the layers. I end up with a brown fingertip from all the needle marks. I put 2 thin layers of the liquid bandage on and once it dries, I can quilt over an hour straight before I have to look and see if I need to reapply. I love the stuff.

Ok...your turn.