View Single Post
Old 10-15-2010, 05:57 AM
Favorite Fabrics

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

Forum readers, I would appreciate your thoughts on this.

Windham Fabrics has some wonderful designs, and they also offer pre-cuts for at least some of their collections. Their price for their FQ bundles seems okay to me, but their Fat Rolls (5" x 44" strips of fabrics, rolled up) seems way too high.

So before I order any of these types of pre-cuts for my shop, I would like to know how it seems to you.

Here are pictures and prices from Fat Quarter Shop, a reliable website that has pretty much standard-retail prices for the newer collections.

The Seville FQ bundle has 32 fabrics and is priced at $84.99, so that's 8 yards, which works out to a price of $10.63 per yard.

The Fat Roll, is priced at $69.99, and with 32 fabrics works out to 4.44 yards, for a price of $15.76 / yard.

Now it's fun to have a little bit of every fabric in a collection, which is what makes the pre-cuts a nice idea. But the fat roll contains just a tad more than half the yardage as in the FQ bundle, and it's not very much less in price.

As I look at it, the Fat Rolls are just NOT a good value. Since Windham doesn't do jelly rolls, I suppose if you need the full width of the fabric and want a little bit of everything you'd have to go with the fat rolls but... seems to me it's definitely overpriced.

What say you, wise and financially-savvy quilters?

FQ bundle - 32 prints
[ATTACH=CONFIG]106979[/ATTACH]

Fat roll - 32 prints
[ATTACH=CONFIG]106980[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-106974.jpe   attachment-106975.jpe