View Single Post
Old 10-15-2010, 07:14 AM
zyxquilts

Last Christmas time, my great nephew Max, leaned over to me during dinner & asked: "Could you make me a big boy quilt now Auntie?" :D When he was about 8 or 9 I had made him a quillow....and he turned 22 this past August. I was still reeling from what we had spent on the Infamous Wedding Quilt, so first I let him know how much a quilt might cost, then told him that I'd see what I could do. (I am so bad at finishing, I didn't want to get his hopes up that one would be appearing any time soon!) :wink:
Recently, I remembered about the giant bag a friend had given to me - full of her dh's old jeans ~ ah ha! I'll make Max a rag quilt with the jeans!
So...I have begun. I've cut a bunch of squares, but the dh was a skinny guy, so the biggest I could get was 8" squares, but more often only a 6" square. I've managed to get a stack of each size - then decided maybe I should figure out just how many I'll need! I sat down with my graph paper the other day, & this is what I've come up with ~ the center will have 30 of the 8" squares, and the outside will be 42 of the 6" ones. To make them fit together, I'll put some "coping strips", 5" ones on the sides & 4" ones at the top & bottom. This should give me a finished size, using 1/2" seams, of 55" X 60".
I'm attaching a scan of my sketch. It will be all denim blues, I just left the coping strips white & used 2 different colors of blue so I could 'see' it better. I think I'm going to back it with 3 or 4 different flannels.
So, what do you think?
Attached Thumbnails attachment-108748.jpe