View Single Post
Old 10-16-2010, 11:01 AM
Bev

Gosh, as I look around my quilting room I see tons of things I use that are re-purposed from the kitchen or garage or someplace else. I use an old wooden silverware caddy for keeping my important go-to tools in. It's right on my sewing table and has a handle so everything is transportable. I also use the wooden picks as stillettos, but I buy the short cocktail ones so I don't have to break them. I use a hand me down computer desk for baskets that hold all my larger items like rolls of fusible interfacing, lots of large plastic baggies, just uncountable amounts of stuff. Plus it has a rolling shelf which makes it super handy. Above it I use kitchen hooks to hold things I've bought that come in a package with a hole in it for hanging. That way I can see it all when I need it. I cover DH's large shoe boxes in pretty used wrapping paper and use them to hold patterns in their envelopes. My books are all stored on a rolling two sided library book truck (wagon) bought at a used library equipment sale. It rolls wherever I need it to be, and stores every one of my quilting books even though I have a ton of them. I found a very heavy duty cheese server with a cutting board in it (brand new condition, but in a thrift store for two dollars.) It has compartments for rows of Ritz and Saltine crackers. I super glued a small cutting mat on the board part, and keep a rotary cutter, small scissors, pin cushion, and other tiny things like needles, etc. This goes all over the house with me when I want to sit and cut small blocks or squares of fabric. I've never seen anything so perfectly suited for this task, and yet it's for serving cheese. There are many more items like these in my room, but it would take forever to list them. I'm a thrift shop, garage sale, junkie. 8-)