View Single Post
Old 07-22-2007, 04:47 AM
ilena

I've just spent this morning cutting up some (more) old jeans for my denim rag quilt project. There are a few patterns out there - some call for batting some don't. I am using a flannel backing and from what I've read I won't need batting. I started cutting some jeans last year and must have read somewhere to use 5.5 inch squares. Doing a little research last night I see now that I will need to leave an inch seam allowance which means my blocks will be much smaller than I originally thought. From the denim I cut this morning I am going to cut rectangles that are larger (8.5 x 5.5 or 9.5 x5.5) and alternate them with the squares I already have.

Ruth remember it's a rag quilt and you are creating your own! Anything goes! All is not lost - you can cut some longer pieces and it will all come out (in the wash lol) in the end. Also I don't know how big you are expecting your finished project to be but 60 pieces of denim at that size doesn't sound like a lot.
~ also I think we are "neighbors" or at least not too far apart - I am in Warrensburg!