View Single Post
Old 10-18-2010, 05:58 AM
dgmoby

[quote=NanSew]
Originally Posted by featherweight
Originally Posted by nana pat
Originally Posted by patdesign
Originally Posted by spark
Did anyone mention marbles to hold the quilt up off the table or floor while pinning?
I don't understand this one at all. :oops:
She explains it on page 23!!!
Went to page 23, didn't see it, there is something on pg. 22 but it still isn't clear to me what to do, how it works, or what the purpose is. Maybe I'm just not getting it. Anyone out there that can explain it better?
I'll help: it's easy if you just think about how and why you would use marbles. It's used for hand basting/hand pinning a quilt.

If you place the marbles, scattered about, under the backing of your layered quilt, they will create a hump everywhere there is a marble. This way, when you pin, you won't stick the pin into the carpet/flooring as the marbles have created an air space for you to use. Once that area is pinned, just push/roll them to the next area you want to pin, if there's no marbles in that place.

This is how my feeble brain would interrupt using the marbles. You could also use a lighting cover they sell at Home Depot that looks just like those grids sold for this purpose (and much more expensive). Or buy the grid made for this purpose. They all work basically the same by allowing a space for pinning to occur under the quilt layers, so you don't hit the flooring or pin your carpet to the quilt.

Hope this helps,
Debbie in Austin

(P.S. Sometimes it's helpful to send a PM to the person who posted the hint, so they will see your message. If they don't revisit the topic, you may not get an explanation. Just my feeble thought anyway <smile>)