Thread: 1/4" Foot
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2010, 10:05 AM
JenniePenny

Originally Posted by JNCT14
See here is where I get confused. How do you know what is a 1/4"????? If I am doing a test strip, what am I measuring against? I always figured if the pattern called for a 1/4" seam and if I was consistent by using either the foot or the guide, I would be OK - but that totally doesn't work - I somehow always end up with seams that will not match! I am so glad someone brought this subject up - I have been dying to ask......
Try this. Take two 1.5 inch squares. Make sure that they are cut precisely at 1.5 inches. Sew them together and press the seam to one side - carefully - so the finished unit does not get distorted. Then measure this unit (take away from your machine and measure with your best ruler). It should be 2.5 inches wide. If it is smaller, your seam is too big. Move your needle one position to the right and try again. If your finished unit is larger than 2.5", your seam is too small. Move the needle position one click to the left and try again.

When your finished unit is exactly 2.5 inches by 1.5 inches, make note of what needle setting it took to make it happen. Then use this setting all the time when you are piecing.