Thread: C pap users
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2010, 10:13 AM
Miss Patsy Jane

My original instructions said not to use scented soap on the equipment because, being plastic it would pick up the fragrance of the soap and might be an irritant. That's a good idea to lower the machine lower than my head, but I don't know what I'd put it on since it is on my night stand and I sleep on 2 pillows also. I'll have to think about it and maybe come up with something. Thanks for the info.

Originally Posted by Quiltgranny
Originally Posted by Miss Patsy Jane
I have oily skin, also, so don't notice dryness around my nose. My C Pap has a humidifier and there's a heater in it, but I can't use the heater because the machine starts "sputtering water" if I turn it very high, so I have to turn it down and use it that way. I'm supposed to dispose of my filter and nose pillows every 2 weeks and I get a 3 months supply from the company that I got my C Pap machine from...also new head gear, hose for the machine and the small hose that connects to the head gear. I wash my head gear in the washing machine in a mesh bag and air dry it...works for me. I don't wash it often, just when I think of it and I leave the fabric covers on the headgear and it doesn't usually come off, but if it does it stays in the mesh bag. Also, the instructions for my machine said to use unscented shampoo or dish detergent to wash all the attachments and the thing that holds the water and I couldn't find the unscented anywhere, so for a while I used just plain vinegar with a 3 parts water, 1 part vinegar ratio...until I discovered that All detergent makes an unscented detergent, so now I'm using that to clean my attachments, etc. in! Sorry this is so long, I ramble sometimes!
I would never have thought to wash my gear this way, interesting. I just wash the head gear about once a week by hand in generic baby shampoo; smells so much better than Dawn dish soap, the originally recommended method. I also wash my nose pillows daily in baby shampoo, too. I wash my water reservoir and flex hose about once a week or so, too.

Have you tried putting your CPAP unit below your head, like on a night stand that is some shorter than your head? I used to have "rainout" and this cured the problem.

I wash my face with Neutragena Facial Bar every night and have great luck with this, although my skin is more mixed, not all oily. I do use the Swift FX mask which is just nasal pillows, but it's the best one I've ever used.

Best of luck to you,