Thread: Photo quilting
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2006, 06:19 AM
patricej
Administrator

Originally Posted by kathy
PatriceJ I would like to hear more about designing your fabrics
I was making a quilt some years ago using some fabric prints I just loved. I hadn't bought enough of one and couldn't find more anywhere. I used Corel Draw to combine several of the graphics that come with the program. The result wasn't close enough to the fabric I'd bought to use as a substitute, but I have been able to use it for a lot of other projects. (As to the quilt that started the whole thing ... I just settled for a smaller one.)

Since then, whenever I need something I can't find - or can't find for a reasonable price - I just fire up Corel Draw and create something myself. I never have to worry about buying too much or - worse - running out. I print what I need as I need it. It's especially handy when I want to use the same print on several differently colored backgrounds. I'm working on a Grandmother's Garden using nothing but fabrics I've printed myself. Little calico flowers. Same flowers, but different color backgrounds. Because the print usually fades at least one shade - even using Bubble Jet Set - in the first wash, the quilt will already look like an antique when it's done.