View Single Post
Old 10-19-2010, 09:15 PM
shrldunn.

The picture with the group founded by Kate Douglas Wiggins has the type of frame my mother and the ladies at church used. It is made of four boards with fabric strips nailed or stapled the length of each board. The lining on each side was basted to two fabric strips. The lining on the sided was pinned to two fabric strips. Then the boards were stretched out into a square with two sides parallel and secured with clamps. After that the batting was carefully smoothed out on top. Then the top was placed on top of both layers. I don't remember if they used pins in the middle of the quilt sandwich or not. The corners of the frame were supported on chair backs or whatever happened to be the right height. I noticed in the picture that they used a pot or something like that on each of the end chair seats. I learned to hand quilt like this when I was younger and my girls were little and they too would play with their friends underneath the quilts. When my mother and grandmother (Daddy's mother) quilted at home they did it in the living room. Mother also had a shorter set of frames for baby quilts. That made it easier to do such a smaller size. Oh, yes, the pins on the sides of the lining were removed as they quilted toward to center and they rolled the quilt to be able to reach it easier. What neat memories!