View Single Post
Old 10-19-2010, 09:59 PM
earthwalker
Power Poster

Sorry you are in pain...I have had a pain in my left hip for years and sometimes it was so bad I had trouble walking. I thought it was sciatica or whatever (I also have Lupus...so that was also a "suspect"). Had a bone density test (full body scan) and my bones are ok, then had an MRI followed by series of x-rays. My Rheumatologist now tells me I have psoriatic arthritis of my left sacro-iliac joint, and basically they can't do much about it.

I too avoid painkillers and have just decided to work around it. I have worked out a few strategies to avoid too much pain, stuff like breaking tasks into smaller timeslots, not doing one thing too long, not over-doing it (that's a pest!), staying as active as possible and making sure I am reasonably trim (to avoid joint stress). I have also (grudgingly) accepted that some days I do need my walking stick (cane). That was a difficult thing to do...but I changed my thinking...now I look on it is an aid to me getting around and staying active...rather than the negative connotation of "I'm a cripple".

On the really bad days, I heat up a wheat bag, head to the sofa and "quilt my way through it".

Hope all goes well and you get some relief soon.