View Single Post
Old 10-20-2010, 07:29 AM
quiltmom04

Originally Posted by Linda Hawkins
I have been a lurker for awhile and learned a lot from you guys. Thank you so much. Now my question is...
I am ready to put some borders around my quilt. Do I need to cut
90+ inches on the straight? or can I cut wof and sew together?
I think on the straight would look better but....I know I will get it crooked. How do you do it?
Thanks, Linda
Depends on what your border fabric is. If it's large and a seam would really be noticable, or the design is directional so that WOF cutting would make everything be sideways, then cut a full length so you don't have to piece it. But if it's a smaller, non-directional fabric, and piecing wouldn't be obvious, go ahead and piece it. I have had border fabric that's large in scale, but not enough length to cut it without piecing, so I take several smaller pieces, say 2 1/2" x whatever the width of the border is and inset them to look like you planned it that way. Obviously, you'll use fabrics from your quilt, or others that coordinate, but, it's actually a cool way to solve this problem. I've attached this picture to illustrate the sort of strips I mean, only you would only use a few at a time, rather that do the whole border this way. Am I as clear as mud?? :)
Attached Thumbnails attachment-112980.jpe