View Single Post
Old 10-20-2010, 12:20 PM
catmcclure

Originally Posted by jljack
I myself usually cut WOF, because like many others I cannot afford to buy 3 yards of extra fabric just to cut straight grain borders. I have never had a problem with the nice fabric we have access to stretching in a WOF cut. I don't pull hard, and am careful when pinning and sewing a border on.
No one needs to think they have to ONLY cut straight of grain borders..its expensive and not really necessary..... unless it's a quilt for a judged show. Then, yes. Do it.
I also can't afford to buy 3 yard of fabric for an outer border. However, cutting 5" borders for a queen size (100 x 100) requires you to cut ten WOF strips, since you usually only get 80 inches from two WOF strips. That ten WOF strips equals to 50 inches of fabric or just a smidge under 1-1/2 yards. It's just as easy to take the 1-1/2 yards, cut it on the grain (eight 5" strips), and piece those strips just like you would your WOF strips.

Like I said, same anount of fabric either way. It's your personal choice and whatever you choose is acceptable. However, if you want straight of grain borders, it's no more expensive to cut and piece them than it is to cut and piece WOF strips.