View Single Post
Old 10-21-2010, 05:51 AM
Rhonda
Power Poster

Originally Posted by noveltyjunkie
sorry to be negative, but people have trouble sewing the bias. With this method, you swap a triangle with one side on the bias for a square with all four sides on the bias. I don't think that is going to help the overall project.
You're not the first one to say this. I also welcome the negative as well as the positive comments. I did a test on it as this was brought up earlier on. I had no problem with the bias. I used a 3" template and as long as you don't pull on the fabric it didn't cause any problem with sewing them together.

If bias is a problem for anyone you can spray your fabric with spray sizing or starch and let it dry or iron it dry before you cut.

As I work in miniature usually -bias has never been a problem for me but I do understand that working in larger sizes it could be. I think the method is still quick and easy and the bias issue can be controlled so it won't be a problem. Just be aware that if you pull or stretch the fabric it will cause the squares to not be square. I also like to tack my seams so it keeps the squares in place as you sew.