View Single Post
Old 10-21-2010, 07:15 AM
Maride

Originally Posted by Jodie02b
When I went fabric shopping for the first time I had the nice personal experience from the LQS, I continued on my way to garment district and was taken back with the coldness of the merchants and in shock when they too tore my fabric
Jodie, the garment district will never give you nice services. The way they see it, if you want one or two yards of fabric, you are wasting their time. They cater towards the wholesale. If you ask for 15 yards or a bolt, they will be a little nicer to you. Most of the people cutting have no clue about the fabrics and can not answer the most basic questions. When you go there, you must not expect anything but fabric. They tear it because in many cases they are extra wide bolts and impossible to cut straight. If you go into a silk shop, expect them to cut your fabric on a table and a little more delicately. Still, not nice if you just want a little bit. I know that this may not sound very nice, but in most stores men are doing the cutting and some can barely speak English. I guess this is what to expect in New York City. No matter what I still love visiting the garment district and enjoy the different fabrics that you not normally find at a LQS. I touched a bolt of fabric hat was $500 per yard. (Not a typo). It was the most beautiful brocade.