View Single Post
Old 10-21-2010, 03:06 PM
Prism99
Power Poster

Originally Posted by dgreen
I'm so discouraged. I'm still pretty new at this, so hopefully I will improve. It seems that no matter how carefully I measure and cut, measure 1/4" seams, etc. my cornerstone squares in my sashing do not line up with the row borders! Is it really so hard to get sashings to line up or am I missing something? Anyone else feel like this?
I agree with using starch. It stabilizes the fabric during cutting and sewing so that nothing stretches out of shape or distorts.

Are you matching and pinning every seam before you sew?

I wrote a short tutorial that explains how to get blocks to line up when using sashing without cornerstones. Basically you just mark extended seam lines on the wrong side of the sashing strip after the sashing is sewn to the first row of blocks. Then you line up the pencil marks on the sashing with the seams in the next row of blocks before sewing.

Since you are using cornerstones, the only thing I can think of is that you are not matching up and pinning all the seams before you sew. When you do this, you often have to ease in fabric in one area and stretch it a little in another area. Easing is something that is taught in clothing construction to make pieces fit together. Are you easing as necessary?