View Single Post
Old 10-21-2010, 06:16 PM
dgrindey

Originally Posted by neonparrot
Last week I was in a really nice quilting store, loads of fabrics and things, plus they give dozens of classes. I had picked out a couple bolts of fabric I wanted and the lady proceeded to measure it for me. Then she started to tear the fabric. I told her to stop & I asked why she was tearing it & she said they never cut the fabric. My comment back to her was then I wanted an extra inch or two because when it is torn, the edge is pulled and puckered up, and I have to trim that off with scissors. She said she would not give me the extra inch of fabric, and if I wanted my fabric cut with scissors, I had to pay $1.00 to have it cut, that was their store policy. There was no sign posted anywhere around that this is what they do. When I asked her why I had to pay the extra $1.00 to have it cut, she said it was because it never cuts straight and it would not be an even yard cut for the next customer. I told her never miind, and did not buy the fabric. Have any of you run into this?
It sounds like a quilting shop I've gone to about 45 minutes from where I live. I won't buy fabric from her because she tears it. However, she didn't charge extra to cut it. My local quilt shop owner told me they used to tear it years ago because of the way the threads ran thru the material.