View Single Post
Old 10-22-2010, 07:10 AM
wishiwerequilting

[quote=Mattee]I spend a lot of time admiring everyone's beautiful work on this board. I am amazed at the stunning artistry of so many of this community's quilts. I have to admit, however, that I'm not sure I fit in.

When I am making a quilt, I often settle for "good enough." I quilt to relax, and because I love wrapping up in a cozy quilt. If I'm trying to make it perfect, it becomes stressful. I don't stress over mismatched seems, points that don't match, blocks that are a bit crooked or slightly different sizes, or any of the other issues that I know many of you go to great lengths to make perfect. The only thing that annoys me is bunched backing, but that's because I don't have any space to baste properly, so the lack of space annoys me more than anything.

Of course you belong on this board! Personally, whenever i offer suggestions for quilters looking for advice, it's not because i feel it has to be perfect, but because the quilter has asked how to do something, or asked how to get a good result. The sharing of info on the message board is very helpful to those looking to "improve" their skills. It does not mean everyone reading the info has to use it.
I have many antique quilts, and they have loved many people over the last 100 years. They are far from technically perfect and they are beautiful.
Imperfections obvious to the quilt maker are not obvious to the recipient.
As my grandma always said "it will never be noticed on a galloping horse". Just make sure everyone keeps galloping and you're good to go!
Happy stitching...