Old 10-22-2010, 03:49 PM
purplemem

Originally Posted by trueimage
Originally Posted by granny_59
Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
Originally Posted by granny_59
What does it mean if I ask on this board first instead of google right away? :lol:
Everyone knows this board is smarter than Google!!
Thats it!!!!!

We do not celebrate thanksgiving. What is the date of that?

It is a day of thanksgiving to God for the providence of the pilgrims through their first year here in America. It was celebrated after the harvest.
Thanksgiving is celebrated the 3rd Thursday of November. It is usually a family celebration with traditional menu based on the area of the country (or previous country) you are in. For example: I live in the South, we have Turkey and dressing. Dressing is a bread casserole made of cornbread, onions, sage and broth. When I lived in the Midwest a traditional dish was Bread dressing, made of biscuits and white bread. The seasonings were very different, as was the texture. In my house it is all about the food and family. We eat the things my grandmother used to make. My mother brings green beans, turnip greens and pecan pie. My sis in law makes something weird and jalapeno corn and hash brown casserole. She also makes spinach souffle and carrot souffle. I bring homemade yeast rolls and a dessert. Another family brings appetizers and dips. My brother smokes the turkey or deep fries it, depending on the weather. We all laugh and talk. It is a very big deal in our house. We always make an intergenerational picture.