Old 10-22-2010, 05:26 PM
Jingle
Power Poster

Yes, every year we go to our cabin in the woods, no indoor plumbing, except for a double sink to wash dishes in. I take a big turkey and BIL use to smoke a turkey, he died in April so, 1 Son in law will do it this year in his honor. I make mashed white potatoes, dressing, and turkey gravy, brown n serve rolls and frozen corn, DD is my assistant and always helps me. Desserts we make at home on Wednesday and take with us. She makes from scratch 2 big carrot cakes, and 2 big cheesecakes and I make about 7 or 8 from scratch Pumpkin pies, apple pie and cherry pie. We have tons of leftovers and eat desserts for breakfast Friday morning and have egg,bacon and cheese bagel sandwiches.
My saying is " The important ones we be there". I've said for years.
With 4 deer hunters someone makes something with fresh deer meat as an appetizer and we have a veggie tray.
We have lots of leftovers because everyone but me is dieting. I don't think a day off hurts anyone. Only time of year I eat turkey.
Anyone that wants to come does. I started this when our three kids still lived at home, about 1979 or so and we just keep doing it. Sister in law, DD and DSIL do dishes and I insist on using real plates, paper plates are not allowed. Everyone loves my cooking, except SIL, she is a vegetarian, doesn't eat turkey, I make her a dish of dressing with no turkey or italian sausage.