View Single Post
Old 10-23-2010, 02:17 AM
ckcowl
Power Poster

i seem to always be working on 2 or 3 bom's...and i love applique! the one i chose for my winter project this year is Sue Garmen's Ladies of the Sea. i really shopped around, i knew i wanted to make it but i did not want to pay start up fees, and so much per month...after checking lots and lots of shops i found one that i felt was affordable for the project i wanted to do. and (i have been doing boms' every year for about 7 years) almost always the final month you receive your (finishing kit) which includes the borders, what ever you need to finish putting your quilt together. they do not just 'leave-you- hanging' with 12 blocks and no way to put them together.
it is a more expensive way to go...you are paying for the pattern and the fabrics each month, but i have found it does kind of even out by the time you are done. i've only done one that i thought i could have done better just buying the patterns.. once in awhile you can find a bom that they allow you to just get the pattern each month and use your own fabrics. i've done both. if you join the (fabshophop) it gives you access to something like 180 different quilt shops, you can find bom's in different price ranges, and not all of them charge that $25 start up fee...but do know...it is a commitment...they do not let you cancel part way through...once you sign up you are committed and your credit card is going to be charged every month. but everything is included by the end.
i am also working on a hand embroidered one this year...the blocks are embroidered and sashed...so cute!