View Single Post
Old 10-23-2010, 05:23 AM
craftiladi

Originally Posted by Mattee
I spend a lot of time admiring everyone's beautiful work on this board. I am amazed at the stunning artistry of so many of this community's quilts. I have to admit, however, that I'm not sure I fit in.

When I am making a quilt, I often settle for "good enough." I quilt to relax, and because I love wrapping up in a cozy quilt. If I'm trying to make it perfect, it becomes stressful. I don't stress over mismatched seems, points that don't match, blocks that are a bit crooked or slightly different sizes, or any of the other issues that I know many of you go to great lengths to make perfect. The only thing that annoys me is bunched backing, but that's because I don't have any space to baste properly, so the lack of space annoys me more than anything.

So, what about it? Am I alone? Are there any others out there that notice errors and keep going anyway without ripping out seems? Do any of you make quilts that have quite a few obvious errors, and you chalk it up to "personalization" and "being unpredictable?"
Matte I haven't even read through all the replies but I have to admit you have company in this area. For this very reason I shy away from taking classes or showing off my quilts. I taught myself to make quilts out of necessity over 30 yrs ago when my kids were just babies. I used to sew clothes and someone had given a huge box of fabric and not wanting to waste it I started making sandwich quilts. They were quick & easy, and as my kids grew older they loved that I made them their very own quilts. I am not a patient person nor do I follow directions well. I am more of a learner by seeing then following a pattern.
I go to quilt shows or see the beautiful creations these artist on this board produce and while I ooh, ahhh and drool over their lovely work I know my limits and most of all my level of patiences. Yes I am learning to push myself to learn out of my comfort zone but then I will be part way through a project and just want to get it done., did I mention I am impatient...lol I know my quilts will never earn any ribbons but so far they have been appreciated by all that have recieved and the ones that don't never get another one..lol
So dear you aren't alone.
Yes in my case Good is Good Enough.