Old 10-23-2010, 08:02 AM
patricej
Administrator

Originally Posted by gale
when I tried to rip out a practice seam my stitches were too small for the end of the ripper to fit underneat. Are my stitches too small maybe? I think it's 2.2 and I have a Janome 6600. It's the default and I never changed it. Or am I doing it wrong?
let's approach the question from a different angle.

"Are my stitches too small maybe? I think it's 2.2 and I have a Janome 6600."

your stitches are not too small. they may not be the right size to work with that tool in the way you're used to using a seam ripper, but that doesn't mean there's anything wrong with either the stitches or the ripper.

there are two ways to use a seam ripper. (1) as a stitch picker; or (2) as a stitch cutter.

when we slip the long, straight tip under a stitch and use it to pull out the threads, or to cut that single stitch, we are stitch picking.

when we put the tool between the two layers of fabric and use the sharp curved "innie" to cut the stitches (one or more at a time) we are stitch cutting.

i've never used the gingher so i have to guess which method it's designed for. my guess is that it's designed as a stitch cutter. it looks ideal for that method. since it's a gingher i feel safe assuming it will serve you well and for a very long time if you use it that way.

i'm a stitch picker. it's the method that works best for me because i have a tendency to slip and cut holes in my fabric when i try to use the cutting technique. i buy tools that have very thin tips so they'll fit under small stitches. if i've misplaced my favorite tool and can only find the one with the "big clunky" tip, i just make my stitches big enough to fit it.

i use a Janome MC6600. while piecing, i find that a stitch sized 2.5 will accomodate just about any size ripper tip. for quilting, i crank it up to at least a 3.

soooooo, you can either increase your stitch size so you can use the tool for picking, or you can teach yourself to use it for cutting. if you do that, the stitch size won't matter at all. the only things required are good light and a steady hand. :-)