View Single Post
Old 10-23-2010, 08:06 AM
Quiltgranny

Originally Posted by Holice
Since I am math challenged I had a problem understanding the final figure in the formulae. Finally discovered it is the additional inches you add to be able to cut on diagonal.
You can extend a 44" wide fabric out to 66" and a 60" wide out to 90"
Thanks for this info, Holice. Here's a math calculator for figuring out just how much fabric you need based on your quilt top measurements and overhang needed.

http://www.multi-patch.com/html/diag...calculator.php

I put in #'s for my 60 x 75" quilt with a 3" overhang. The calculator figured out that I'll need 5.58 yards of 42" (usable width) fabric.

I need to do some more figuring on my own to see if that really is cheaper than getting a wider piece of fabric. Too many variables to consider, especially when the price of fabric varies so much. For example, I'd only need just under 2 yards of wide fabric to cover the width of my quilt. I can buy that for under $10 a yard if I shop around. So, say $20 or so for wide back material. Regular yardage at even $6 a yard (if we're lucky) would be close to $33. A person would have to find yardage at only $3 a yard to break even on this one.

I suppose there are as many pros/cons on this issue as there are members here. Just something to think about. Thanks again.

That said, I would like to try this method some time, just to see how I like it. Looks like having a long table would be helpful when cutting the long length of yardage on the diagonal. :thumbup: