Old 10-24-2010, 05:38 AM
plainjane

Originally Posted by bearisgray
And the original question still does not have a definitive answer for many mills.
Growing up, we used to have a "remnant" store that carried seconds, miss-dyed, and flawed fabrics, usually flat folds and some on bolt. These types of fabrics are still out there somewhere. I'm afraid there trade secrets will never be made public. The thread counts have always been altered to make specific fabrics, frome voile to super good cotton-the quality of dyes is different and how the fabric is finished adds to the cost, and we find our way somewhere in between. My guess would be that the best greigh goods would not be used for the first run or test. You have always been told to test out that embroidery first or make a muslin of that garment before cutting out the good stuff. The answer does not come from the designer or cost of our fabric, 0r even where we buy it, but the deep, dark secrets of the manufacturer, and I can guarantee, they will NEVER tell the truth about what goes on in the industry. No one can tell you what your taste is. No one can tell you what is best for your next project. No one will be convinced to have a 180 in any planning or purchasing ay time soon.