View Single Post
Old 10-24-2010, 09:21 AM
Jan in VA

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Originally Posted by sherriequilts
Originally Posted by Jan in VA
Originally Posted by bgullett
Thats just great! How do we get involved?
PMing you.
Jan in VA
Maybe you could just tell us all right here! Sounds like a great project. Can't wait to see the pix!
Here is the letter those who are interested get from me.

"Yes, we are still accepting and needing quilts for these soldiers. We will be shipping throughout November and December.

Thank you so much for your supportive offer of help for this project, it touches my heart.

Here are some answers to questions I’ve been asked:
1. Mailing date to Afghanistan will be within the next 6 weeks and continue thru out November into December.

2. Suggested size of quilt is 46-48" to 64-65”, give or take whatever your design creates.

3. Please! Use only 100% cotton fabrics; it is too hot there for poly or blends. Preferably no metallics, preferably no white/muslin/or extremely pale-colored fabrics as it’s quite dirty where these soldiers are and most of them aren't able to even bathe for days at a time. Use accurate, generous ¼” seam allowances, please.

4. These quilts can be the simplest of designs, happy color is the most important thing to these men’s environment. Example: rail fence, 4-patch/9-patch, wide strippies, ‘snowballed’ blocks, etc.

5. All of these service personnel are men.

6. Yes, you are most welcomed to batt with cotton, quilt, finish your own quilt; we could definitely use that help! But I can also arrange to have it done here before we ship them if necessary.

7. If you have backing or binding fabric to include, that would be awesome! Cut binding strips @ 2.75” for these quilts please or just send yardage.

8. If you are a new quilter and need a pattern and/or instructions for this project, I have 3-4 on file which I will be glad to email to you. Please send me your personal email address for this purpose.

My address: (Use PM for this please)

Please be free to email or even call if you have any questions!

May you be blessed as you bless these servicemen with the labors of your heart.
Jan in VA"