View Single Post
Old 10-25-2010, 04:05 AM
JNCT14

Oh maybe not so bad, BUT - my mom just came back from an RV trip out west. When they were in Kansas, mom bought me some beautiful quilt patterns - you've seen them - the ones in the little zip lock bags for about $8.00. There was an Americana wall hanging that I thought 'hmmm.. I gotta do this one'.

So I look at the directions. Holy COW! This happened to be a combination of Flying Geese and something called a New York Block. As I am reading this I am getting more and more confused - the overall dimensions were not given for each of the unit blocks and the sizes for the pieces were things like '3 1/8' and 1 9/16'. Now I'm sorry but I defy ANYONE, especially the novices, to cut pieces exactly to 9/16s and 1/8 - not to mention the fact that doing it this way will take FOREVER. I am going to convert all the sizes to something more sensible like 1/2 and 3/4", and I will probably use a strip piece method to make the geese, but for heaven's sake, how many beginner quilters buy these patterns and become completely overwhelmed by the directions, depriving them of a fun experience in making the quilt! And the time it will take to do the conversions sort of puts a damper on the project!

Is it just me that has a problem with this?