Old 10-25-2010, 06:17 AM
rwquilts

Originally Posted by Quilting Nonnie
Originally Posted by booklady
Originally Posted by janRN
Very pretty blocks Booklady. I can't believe you're doing 4 sets of them. I wouldn't have any hair left--some of these blocks have me pulling it out!!
I'm going to have to do some work with the sashing to get them all squared up. Some of them come out short even though I measure everything two or three times!
I have the same problem with my blocks. I have tried pp, rotary cut and templates and all but one have turned out small. I measured the template quarter inch mark at my machine. My seam is actually a little smaller, since I do scant quarter inch. I've never had this problem with any other quilt blocks I make. It is disheartening.

I like doing the templates best. Last night I tried making block 13 with a smaller seem allowance to see if that would help the block turn out the right size. All it did was throw off he seams so much I had to grow it out and start over.
The more seams in a block, th easier it is to get off a bit. I have found that some of these blocks have to be pressed with seam allowances going both ways, instead of to one side or the other...remember all the bulk of seam allowances ALSO eats up a bit of your block, so I just suggest slow & steady, using your scant 1/4" seam allowance, press, and press again (press, NOT IRON) to get the block as flat as possible as you're stitching it. I also use spray sizing to help hold it flat.