View Single Post
Old 10-25-2010, 11:06 AM
Rosyhf

Originally Posted by Calico Grammy
Originally Posted by Rosyhf
I had a few days that I just wanted to rummage in my bins etc to see what I could find. I found this lovely crewel embroidered owl, I did years ago and this horse, half done. I am sure I have more stuff.

I found a very large hooked rug 3/4 done and been hooking on it lately and enjoying it. I think I will use the crewel stuff in quilts.
The owl is beautiful and the horse will be! I used to do crewel until I had everyone's walls full of pictures and then moved on to some new craft! Now it is quilting! Please check about the crewel put into a quilt----not sure the washing would be the same as for cotton, but if you are making just a wall hanging & it won't be washed often, it could work. Great work!
Yes I must think about that. The crewel is done with wool yarn so I think it can be washed. I will wash and dry flat first and then line it before putting it in the quilt. I will quilt heavely around the owl.

I also found so much, I had no idea, of embroidery wool. Paternan? Lee wards, and others, all wool and in excellent condition. I keep all my craft supplies in the house. Stuff like fabric and yarn are in cabinets and chests not plastic. I think that kind of storage keeps them nice and they are air conditioned which also make a difference. I am so thankful for my large studio.

Here is a tip on how to keep your threads nice. keep the thread in a cabinet free from dust and paticles etc. Dust is the ememy of the thread. Thread dries out too so now and then give then a sprits of water or silicone.