View Single Post
Old 10-25-2010, 07:01 PM
Tink's Mom

Originally Posted by nursie76
Originally Posted by Tink's Mom
Then how come it helped when we put them in the hot steamy bathroom back when my boys had it?
I can't imagine that croup has changed...back then the cool air seemed to make it worse...
Since I had 1 who responded to cold and 1 to hot, I really think it depends on the child, but when you think about the physiology, it is inflammation and swelling that causes croup, and when you have an ankle that is swollen from an injury you use cold to reduce the swelling, so cold moistness makes sense. Interesting thing is that the same thing that causes croup in kids causes laryngitis in adults. I guess you just have to go with what works best for your child. But, I think that knowing what I know now, that I would try the cold first. Either way, it is always better to listen to your pediatrician.
With 2 boys, we were in the emergency room all the time...either sick or hurt! The one with the asthma is the one that responded the least, now that I'm really thinking back 20+years. I just did what the Dr. said...