View Single Post
Old 10-26-2010, 01:24 PM
azwendyg

Originally Posted by Kas
Very nice! The quilting is great. Do you have a longarm?
Thank you all for your kind comments. :-)

I do not have a longarm; I'm using a Juki TL-98Q for piecing and FMQ. This is the 3rd actual quilt I've done (and lots of practice pieces before I even attempted FMQ on anything "good":wink:)
I really enjoy the FMQ and designed this quilt to be able to try several different designs on it. I struggle quite a bit with trying to figure out what designs to use on my quilts, so I tried a different approach this time; I made the quilt to fit the FMQ I wanted to use.

When I first started, it took a long time to get the hang of it, and now, any time I try a new design I do practice pieces first to make sure I can get it to look OK. I started messing with FMQ about a year ago (I work full-time and have other hobbies too, so I don't get to spend a lot of hours on this...), and for about the first 6 months I thought it might be hopeless. Since starting out, I've taken a couple of classes and bought a couple of videos to help me along, not to mention more quilting books than anyone needs!

I joined our local quilter's guild and those talented women make me very humble!!! But I'm glad for the opportunity to see some of their really amazing work in-person and I hope some of their talent will rub off.

I just finished a large lap quilt this morning for my DH's birthday next week, and will post pics of that later. After that, I think I'm getting brave enough to actually QUILT the top that's pictured in my avatar, LOL. It's been in the closet in a box for many months now while I've been practicing FMQ. I've got several Christmas gift projects planned so I should be getting some more practice in the next month or two.

Originally Posted by Patched
... Did you machine quilt it? I cannot believe you quilted the binding so accurately. Should have read the starting paragraph better. Thats unbelieveable.
Yes, I free-motion quilted it on my domestic machine, but I can't take credit for the accuracy on the binding; that's a decorative stitch from my machine that I stitched over the binding after I attached it in the usual manner. I wanted to be sure the binding would stand up to numerous machine washings and I was afraid my hand stitching might not hold.