View Single Post
Old 10-26-2010, 03:43 PM
kellen46

My Name is Penny I am so to new to the sewing and Quilting world. The only thing i really no is how to thread my machine.

I would like to know when buying fabric do you buy fabric all in the same line or dose it matter?

2. when cutting fabric dose it what which way you cut it?

As for buying fabric, if you are a beginner at picking fabrics then by all means get a coordinated line. Manufacturers take great care to make an appealing collections of fabrics. However when I buy fabric it is more visceral than anything. In other words I buy what "feels good". I trust my own color sense even if no one else might. You get a lot of surprises when going out of your comfort zone and that is a good thing. In my mind there is no bad combo but pay attention to value and contrast as that will make a difference in the pattern you choose.

As for cutting, yes it matters. Grab a piece of fabric and do this, pull the fabric along the straight of grain, along the selvage, almost no stretch, along the cross grain, some stretch, across the bias, or diagonal, a lot of stretch. Now for most of what you will be doing you will cut on the cross grain. Bias is good for going around curves but can stretch and ripple if not treated with care. Most instructions will tell you when to use bias and when to use straight of grain so unless you know different use cross grain. It would be better to ask a question relating to a specific issue as to getting a recommendation on grain. Don't be afraid to ask here. There are lots of folks happy to answer your questions.