View Single Post
Old 10-27-2010, 09:29 AM
noveltyjunkie

Originally Posted by moonangel12
Is a barter system an option? Are there any skills or items she can offer you as sort of a trade?
My thoughts exactly. Fair is fair, no matter how little money she has, she should recognise how much you put into this.

How about you say- the fabrics cost X and I put in Z hours making it. Then agree a money price for the materials but tell you want her to spend Z hours on something for you!

The fact of the matter is that you could sell it for a LOT if you put it on the open market, so there is an opportunity cost in giving it cheap to this friend, whom you have already given a quilt to this year.

When is she going to come around looking for her next one? The problem with agreeing a low price is that she may feel she can come back and "buy" another at a similar price next year. What happens when she says she has a wedding to go to and "can you just run up another one of those 200 dollar quilts of yours, and maybe give me a little discount"?

Beware the slippery slope- no matter what you do, you may end up resenting her later.