View Single Post
Old 10-28-2010, 09:07 AM
desertrose

Originally Posted by Mattee
So, there I was, taking a class. I had almost completed my table topper, when a classmate asked me how I was going to cover it. "What do you mean, cover it?" I asked.

Her: "You know, so it won't get food on it."

"But it's a table topper. It's going to get food on it," I responded.

Her: "Exactly. You need to cover it in vinyl or a laminate to protect it.

Me: "No, I want it antiqued."

I was actually shocked. I must admit that the thought never crossed my mind to cover the table topper. I figured that in 80 years (I'm being optimistic), when I'm dead and gone, and my descendants are using the aforementioned table-topper (again, my optimism), it will be like an archaeology exercise. There will be evidence of past meals that can be sifted through. "Look, Great-grandma Mattee must have LOVED ketchup!"

Anyway, I won't cover it. I understand completely why some people would. What I don't understand is that this woman seemed truly appalled that I choose not to. I mean really, it is MY project, right?

Anyone else have experience with classmates being appalled at your quilting behavior?

Yes, and with using antique glassware for a shower too. I've tried to explain that these things are made to be and have been used for hundreds of years in everyday use. What's the use in having something if you're not going to use it! If they are stained, broken or destroyed then so be it's they were used, loved and served the purpose they were intended to serve. They have provided many wonderful memories for me and the generations before me. I decide how I'll use the things I own or create.

Andie :D :D :D