View Single Post
Old 10-28-2010, 01:06 PM
roselady

Originally Posted by JNCT14
Actually - ANY information on hand quilting would be welcome. I don't do it - first off, rocking the needle absolutely kills my hand - I wind up with an aching wrist that stops me sewing for days. I have also tried the stabbing method with two hands - it works better, but boy is it SLOW. I can't ever seem to get the tension in the hoop or in the frame right so I can rock the needle and go through the underside - so I always remove the durned thing and gather the piece with my left hand and quilt with my right. Forget it! I gave up and do strictly machine quilting now. Funny thing is that I have no problem doing hand piecing!!!
One thing that might help with the pain....instead of using the very tip of your thimble when you rock the needle, try using a thimble that is made for using the pad of your finger. I have read that the position your hand is in, to do it that way, is much easier on your hand. I have used a couple of different thimbles made this way, and trying to go back to one using the tip is, now, very uncomfortable for me. Roxannes thimble is one that is made to use the pad of your finger, but it is very expensive, another is made by clover, it is a bronze color, and has an opening for long fingernails. Hope that helps.