View Single Post
Old 10-28-2010, 11:02 PM
burnsk

I used to own a flower shop in a little 'two store' strip. Since the shop next to me was a mini-mart/liquor store there were always guys going in and out all day long. I always put signs in my window for the daily challenge (which happened be right next to their door so their customers couldn't miss it):

If your wife's name is ______, pick up her free rose.
Serenade the owner with your favorite song and get a free ______
Recite your favorite nursery rhyme and get a free _____
Give your best Elvis impression and get a free ______
If your name is _____ pick up a free spring bouquet
If you can make the owner laugh and you get a free _____
Come tell us a knock-knock joke and get a free _____
Come in wearing a cowboy hat and get a free ____
If you can name all of the 7 dwarfs you get a free ____
If you are wearing (color) you get a free _____
Bring your mom in on Sunday and she will get a ____
Show me your church bulletin and get a free ____

I can't remember them all. They were all goofy things. Every day it was something different and some people would come buy just to see what we had going on that day. I can't remember all of our 'challenges' but we had about 50 of them. Our customers became our friends. Some of them even suggested some of the 'challenges'. It was fun and selling a perishable product, giving away free flowers kept our inventory rotating and fresh.

I remember the proms and weddings and funerals. People couldn't always afford what they wanted but we'd work with them and many times, surprise, we could produce 'coupons' for them. Gotta keep them coming back or you're out of business. It was a sad day for me when I sold my shop. The new owner was out of business a year and a half later.

Boy do I miss it.