View Single Post
Old 10-29-2010, 12:17 PM
featherweight

Originally Posted by desertrose
Originally Posted by Hinterland
I do a lot of hand sewing. If my hand begins to hurt while appliquing, I change needles, usually switching to a straw needle. My hand rarely hurts when I hand quilt, unless I prick myself. :(

My hands usually don't hurt, but my wrist will bother me from time to time. I blame the computer for that - I use one all day at work. If it hurts a lot I use a wrist brace, even wearing it to bed. It keeps the wrist straight and helps ease the pain.
Yes, and I chose to have surgery on my hand and wrist. She said a year or a little longer to completely heal. I have been using it way to much and I pay dearly for overdoing. I hope after my yearis up, all the pain will have been worth it.

Sounds like you ladies are experiencing some early Carpal Tunnel and arthritic symptoms. I have both and find the brace helps when at rest, impossible to hand sew with it on, and the use of topical medications helps relieve the pain. You may want to check with your doctor to make sure there isn't some early intervention medications that could bring you some relief. I've had to accept that if I wish to continue quilting I have to change the length of my sessions. I perfer to do this instead of quit quilting all together.

Good Luck,
Andie :D :D :D