Thread: donating quilts
View Single Post
Old 07-28-2007, 10:23 AM
Suz

I just finished my 6th quilt and will find out tomorrow where it is to sent. Each quilt has a different destination. It will be mailed on Monday.

My third quilt was sent to Andrews AFBase. The Red Cross Volunteer wrote emails all who sent quilts to him (and his wife) for distribution. He said one of the returning military lads had what remained of his legs covered with a woolen blanket. The lad said the wool was scratchy and itchy and was so thankful for the cotton covering.

I enclose a short letter that includes my mailing and email address. I am anxious to hear from one of the recipients, or their family,of my quilts. I'll share this message when it comes.

Regarding the quilting: I am doing my own using clear thread (top and bottom) and although I not real good, my machine quilting is getting better with each quilt. So, if you need to practice machine quilting, this is an opportunity. Once the quilt and the presentation case are washed, the quilting stitches seem to hide.

Regarding the costs: The QOV articles says approximately $120. I believe this figure is a little high and probably includes three mailings (to the longarmer, return to topper, sent to destination). I find each quilt takes about 6 yards of fabric and approximately 3 yards of batting. I also attempt to purchase "on sale" or with coupons. I think mine run between $35-40 each including the shipping.

If any of want to have a really good feeling well up inside, just make one of these quilts, realize who will be receiving same, you cannot help but have anything but a good fuzzy feeling. You will be doing more than a lip service, you are making a difference in someone's life.

Off my box now!! Suzanne