Old 10-30-2010, 06:24 PM
Kas

Originally Posted by dellareya
I also learned how to sew on my mothers Featherweight machine. Somehow I broke the bobbin case. I remember how angry my mother was. She actually got rid of the machine because she told me it couldn't be fixed. I've lived with guilt for 50 years. I recently asked her about it. She said she didn't have the time to sew anyhow and wanted to "teach me a lesson about being careful". Ouch.
Poor baby! I think I would be to scared to sew again if someone had said that to me. I don't really remember what kind of machine it was that sewed on first. I borrowed it from a friend to sew the nursery for my first baby. It didn't come with any instructions at all! Thank goodness it was already threaded with the color I needed! But that gave me the bug and I bought a cheap singer that gave me nothing but trouble. At least it got my foot in the door!

My mom and grandmother both sewed on nice singers! My mom's was a featherweight and my GM's was a 401, I think. But I never sewed on either one of them. I had to learn to sew by hand.