Thread: WHY?
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2010, 03:26 AM
quiltmaker

Originally Posted by IrishNY
The currency has basically 'even' for a number of years so it has stopped being a real factor these days.

The US was going to go metric at one point but there was such push back that it never happened. It also dawned on the powers that be that it would cost a lot to change the system - all new traffic signs and mileage markers in meters, new gas pumps that measure in liters, new scales in kilos, new odometers and spedometers in cars, etc. That's probably what really killed the idea.

Regarding fabric, I would prefer to get 3 less inches and pay half or one-third of the cost. ;) I have a cottage in Canada so spend lots of time there and don't know how you guys afford to quilt at all. I love finding a quilt shop up there but can almost never bring myself to buy anything.

This is true. After living in other countries and also vacationing in other countries... I probably never would be a quilter with the prices they have to pay for fabrics. Why it's so high is beyond me but I surely agree with Irish NY and find that the basically 3 inches difference is no matter at all to me....but the prices certainly are. We get a lot more for our money here in the US in regards to fabrics, notions and many other things. It's just one of those "it is what it is and nothing will change the facts" things. It's also the same way with the customs and postal fees the overseas and Canadian people have to pay...no amount of griping will change the facts that their particular country will do what it does. We all just have to live with what whatever it is.