View Single Post
Old 10-31-2010, 07:37 AM
jrhboxers

I had both of my knees replaced at the same surgery almost exactly three years ago, my surgery was Oct. 22, 2007.

I had to argue with the surgeon to do both. He said that he only did one at a time because you needed a good leg for rehab. After arguing that I did not have a 'good' one, he relented and did both. The first couple of days, I thought I was so stupid, but it was the best thing I had ever done.

I have had OA and RA for over 20 years due to Lupus. My knees were trashed. Especially after a car wreck on March 3, 2007 when my air-bag failed to go off and I crushed my knees on the dashboard. I broke the top of my lowerleg bones, the bottom of my thigh bone and my knee cap on both legs. That with the arthritis was the last straw, so to speak.

I was in the hospital for 4 days and then transferred to a rehabilitation facility. That was the best move I made. The rehab facility gave you no choice on working the exercises. And they didn't take no for an answer. I worked my butt off. But it was worth ever once of blood, sweat and tears. I was home 2 weeks and 2 days after surgery and was off the walker by 4 weeks and off the cane by 6. Everyone was amazed at how well I did. The surgeon says - even to this day - that the only reason that I have done so great is just to prove him wrong.

Before the surgery, I could only get around - outside of the house - on a motorized scooter. Well, my scooter has now sat in my garage, unused, for over almost 3 years. And it is wonderful.

Good luck with your surgery. There will be times when you will wonder why you did this to yourself. But I guarantee that in the end you will be glad that you did it and will wonder why you didn't do it sooner.

Remember - work your butt off with the rehab, it makes all of the difference in the world. Keep us updated on your progress.