Thread: WHY?
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2010, 08:12 AM
majormom

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
They sneak the metric measurements in on us thinking we will change, but it has never worked out that way. i.e. pop and water 1 liter/2liter There was a big push for metrics way back when in I was in HS, but I think we are quite stubborn when it comes to changing.
This very subject came up between customers at JoAnns the other day. I stated that I think all products that are sold by measurement should have 'yds', 'inches' etc clearly marked on them if they are being sold in the United States. Another customer said, "Well, meters and centimeters are used because we're the only ones using our system". I replied, "Well, since the United Stated is probably the largest English speaking consumer nation in the world, the least the companies can to is accommodate us by putting our system on their packages as well. Personally, I see no reason why we should be like, think like, or do like everyone else. Those who are in trade with other countries and 'have' to deal with the metric system can learn it. But the rest of us are just as happy with our own system.