View Single Post
Old 10-31-2010, 08:44 AM
blackiesmom

Absolutely do the rehab and the PT. If you are having more pain with the PT, ask the Dr. for pain meds that you can take before the PT to make it easier to do. Take it about 30 minutes before the PT so it will be cruising through your system during the PT sessions. Also ask for exercises you can do at home while you are doing the PT. The more you do during PT the better off you will be later.

While you are in the hospital they will be getting ypu up put of bed and sitting in a chair and also walking you. Ask the PT person and the nurses what time PT will be there and ask for pain meds to coordinate with the PT times. This will allow you to have more beneficial time with the in hospital PT. Take it slow, and if you are pushing yourself too hard, take it slower and ask for time to rest while you are walking. Pt should be designed to benefit you
and not the PT persons schedule. (Sorry, I am a nurse, and so many times the patient gets in the way of schedules. People tend to forget that not all patients are the same and some need more time.)

The PT should also be specifically ordered by the doc with certain things he wants done. A friend of mine who is also a nurse had to have a second run of PT. The PT person did what she thought the doc wanted, and it was not. My friend did not get the angle of extension the doc wanted because of that.

Ok, just remember to drink plenty of fluids, ask for pain meds, (better living through modern chemistry.) Ask for the at home exercises, take it at your own pace, and remember to tell yourself how much better it will be in the end. (Also start stool softeners a few days before the surgery. Trust me. It helps.)