Old 10-31-2010, 05:49 PM
AnnaK

Originally Posted by joan_quilts
Ok, I have 2 quilts people wanted. I told the one lady her quilt would be ready to ship the first of November. She saw it back in July, and she knew the price back then. She asked me last week if I would take payments. I said NO.

She has ordered from me before, but this quilt is a twin size, all hand quilted and won 3rd place at a quilt show. Her story is she has bills and just can't afford it all right now. I told her that was ok, because I would hold onto the quilt until December and then I would offer to sell it to someone else.

Joann, you should have no trouble selling these quilts with Christmas coming . Be sure to get some nice pictures and post on this board and also use craigslist or ebay. Good luck. We live and learn.

Another lady, after seeing this quilt, asked me to make her a full sized quilt kind of like it. Her husband just loves John Deere and these quilts had a John Deere theme.

So, I make this quilt, it also placed 3rd in the contest under its category, and I called the lady who wanted to come by and get it.

She stopped by on Friday, said how much she loved it, but "just can't afford it" right now. Uh-huh, that meant she wanted me to lower my price, a price she agreed on BEFORE I made it.

From now on, I am going to ask for a $100 deposit, non-refundable, on my quilts. I have close to that much in the fabric and other material needed alone.

Why do people "ask" for things, offer to pay and then "change their minds"? If they can't afford a quilt, don't ask me to make one

I guess this is another lesson well learned, sigh.