Thread: Frames
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2010, 06:42 PM
Ramona Byrd

Seems to me that if you had the room for a frame, it would work nicely. Our Grandmothers had some that were pulled up to the ceiling when not needed. You first put on the backing, out side down, then the batting or whatever you want in the middle, pin or lock these both down someway, then put on the top and pin that down. Then you pull and even it up, and do NOT cut any edges till it is all quilted. It's rolled up as it is sewed, some have it rolled until it is quilted. I think it depends on how many work on it at once. The church where we've seen quilts in progress have it out flat and tight, with each side being rolled as they progress from one side to the other. I presume that they sew from left to right, but possibly right to left.
You could probably find patterns for a quilt frame on the Internet or even buy one at an Estate sale somewhere. Or advertise for one locally. Or go to any Senior Citizens' group and ask if they know of any and how it works. You have a lot of stored information in those older heads. They might just know where one is and be glad to find someone willing and eager to treasure it.