View Single Post
Old 09-17-2008, 11:55 AM
mpspeedy

VAnessa,

I don't subscribe but I usually pick up the latest copy. He is a little unusual but some of his articles are wonderful. There was one he did about having recognized quilt speakers for your group or guild. I was the program chair for two guilds. Some of the members just did not understand that people who are trying to make a living selling their expertise are also trying to be professional. You wouldn't ask your Professor to share a bathroom with your child and two dogs. I have booked lots of speakers and or teachers for both my guilds and they expect to be treated as professionals not just some lady who knows a little more about quilts than us. As a hand quilter for hire I belong to a Quilt Professional group. At their meetings they discuss and share ways to perform as professionals. When I book a speaker who comes from a distance I book them a hotel room and give them a meal stipend. All of this is on top of their fee and mileage. Some speakers have run the group as much as $800 but they were well worth every penny.
He also did an article about the "Quiltzillas". We all know people who think they know more and are better crafters than anyone else. They love to pick our work apart and make us feel like throwing in the needle. I like the magazine.