Old 11-01-2010, 04:15 AM
grann of 6

Originally Posted by JNCT14
I am making a Double Star quilt for my dad in red, white and blue (really pretty) using a pattern I got from http://equiltblocks.com/four/Double_Star.gif

I had to enlarge it (I don't like 6" blocks) and it is going ok - BUT. I made a bunch of the triangle insets (pieces 1,2,3..) and I am setting them into piece 13 (the large star) by hand since I have no luck with setting odd shapes by machine. However, I have made 4 blocks so far and the large star is raising up (bubbling) instead of laying flat. I cut the large stars on the bias and am gently stetching by hand as I sew the insets. I am pretty sure I can press the bubble out and I am going to wash the quilt top before I quilt it to see if it will shrink out a bit but can anyone tell me if there is a better method before I do the rest of the blocks?
I'm not much of a fan of sewing triangles, but what about starching the fabric first? That seems to be a popular thing here on the board. Also, instead of stretching, you should be "easing". Someone here certainly has the answer for you.