Old 11-01-2010, 07:58 AM
Candace

Originally Posted by Rachelcb80
Originally Posted by Candace
My mother has about 15-20 cows and they slaughter several every year. I could do this (send them off, they're way too big). But if I had just one cow, I know I'd bond to it and wouldn't be able to do it...same as the chickens. If I had a whole flock it would be o.k. to cull the group, but since I only have 2 you begin to notice personality traits etc. I think that's the key to NOT having an emotional attachment. If you have enough of them around, and don't name them or treat them as pets you don't get emotionally attached.
Well this is exactly why I won't ever be able to kill my big rooster and the dumb two banty (bantie?) hens. The rooster is Rusty and the two hens are Broody and Broonella. The rest of the flock all look alike, act alike and I don't have any attachment to them. Muuuuuch easier to kill that way. :)
I have Lucky(because my dog bit her as a chick and she lived) and Alice. Alice, I wouldn't have such a hard time culling. She's a brat. But, we pick them up to pet and play with. With meat birds on acreage, I'd be like you and not get close. Do you also collect their eggs? I'm assuming you only let a certain amount incubate or stay with the mothers? What breed of bird do you raise?