Thread: The basics
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2010, 09:15 AM
plainpat

Hi.I've made 4-5 flannel rag quilts for kids & Grkids with Joanns flannel..I use a print sq in a checkerboard pattern, with plain sqs.No batting.I cut 8-10" sqs,using at least 1 1/2" seams thru out.2" is good too...the raggy shows up better when you have wider seams.You can sew an X on the blocks...or anything you like. On some of mine,I made free hand hearts.Don't wash the flannel before using. Sew the front sqa together in rows or blocks, then sew it all together.
Invest in a pair of soft handled,spring loaded scissors.Clip all seams...being careful not to clip into seam lines.

Most ppl wash/dry in a laundry mat machine. When drying, open several times to collect lint.Shake well & fold. All done !

BTW, these are the 1st quilts used when it's cold outside. Soft,warm & cuddly.

Ok, so, I just got from Joanns and I have like 40 yds of fabric for a few quilts and pillow cases to match. I'm getting brave!!! Thank you all so much for the input. I plan on just using 2 layers of flannel and no batting. If I sew an X across each quare before assembling, will this make it soft and fluffy enough or should I invest in the batting? If so, can I use polyester instead of investin in cotton batting? Once again, thanks ladies.